Gerbils are small, entertaining desert-dwelling animals.
They are very active animals, and can dig tunnels up to 8 metres long in the wild.
Gerbils are very social so must be kept in pairs or groups.
Gerbil Housing & Enrichment
- Gerbils should be housed in a 4ft tank or “gerbilarium”.
- The tank should be 2/3 full of a mixture of shredded paper, hay and clean, dry soil.
- There should be lots of tunnels and houses buried throughout the cage for them to explore.
The Best Diet for Gerbils
- Gerbils need a small quantity of a seed-based mix every day.
- They can also have the occasional piece of vegetable, such as carrot or broccoli.
- Gerbils should have constant access to clean, fresh water which should be changed daily.
- Gerbils can live up to 3-4 years with the correct care.
- Be sure to check your gerbils daily to note any behavioural changes as this may indicate a health problem.
- Your gerbils ears, eyes and mouth should be clean and dry.
- Gerbils teeth constantly grow, so need to gnaw on wood and hay to keep the teeth in check.
Care Guide Gerbils
Application To Adopt A Small Animal