We occasionally have Fancy Mice available for adoption at Raystede.
They are playful and active little animals, but can be a bit nippy so aren’t always suitable for young children.
Housing & Enrichment for Mice
- We ask for a minimum cage size of 81cm x 52cm x 52cm or a 4ft wide tank.
- Avoid using sawdust as bedding for mice because this can cause respiratory problems, instead use shredded paper.
- The cage should have lots of toys and hiding places for the mice to explore.
- As they are very active mice should have a good-sized wheel to run on.
The Best Diet for Mice
- Mice should be fed a small quantity of a seed-based mix.
- Avoid feeding too many peanuts as these are very fatty.
- They can have the occasional piece of vegetable or fruit, such as apple or broccoli.
- Mice have a short lifespan of around 18 months to 2 years.
- Most health problems in mice can be avoided with the correct diet and clean housing.
- You will need to take your mouse to a vet if they show signs of being ill as they can go downhill very quickly.
- As with all rodents, their teeth will need to be kept worn down by gnawing on sticks to prevent discomfort.
Care Guide Mice
Application To Adopt A Small Animal