VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION: rope splicer enrichment Volunteer
A fit person who is creative and has a love of animals and an even greater interest in birds. This person needs to have specific skills in rope splicing, so that they can offer a more enriched living environment with the use of hanging ropes for climbing or playing on or use of ropes in creating interesting structures and climbing frames while ensuring that they are hung safely and securely for the birds to enjoy.
DIY skills to make other enrichment toys such as hanging foraging blocks or wooden trays or play stands would be equally useful but rope splicing is our main interest.
Aviaries Manager and experienced team members within the section.
Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare
Days or Hours Required:
· Flexible, 7 days a week, any day available. Offering flexible times between 10am-3pm winter and 10am-4pm summer.
Description of duties:
· Must be confident to go into an aviary with parrots present (supervised) to attach ropes to different structures.
· The ropes can be large and bulky, good hand strength to manipulate ropes would be advantageous to splice them and make safe and secure as frayed ropes can be a risk to the birds.
· DIY jobs as required with the ability to use a power drill safely, attaching carabenas or anchors into the wall or to combine different thickness of rope etc.
· Occasionally making more creative enrichment toys, such as scatter feeders, wooden puzzles, play stands, wooden toys, if skills and time allow.
Skills and Experience you will need:
· Experience and skills with working at heights (previous ladder training required).
· Polite and engaging manner and happy to talk to visitors.
· Confident to work alone and in small teams.
· Happy to work outdoors in all weathers (although mostly under cover).
· Ability to use work mate and other DIY tools.
· Some DIY skills and experience would be helpful such as the ability to use power drill safely, attaching carabenas or anchors into the wall or to combine differing thickness ropes together etc.
· Some experience of different types of knots and uses of natural rope.
· Ability to cope with a physical role involving lifting and carrying.
· Have some experience and knowledge of best practice and co-operate with Raystede policies and procedures for health and safety.
· Own transport to get to and from Raystede.
How you will make a difference:
You will have very specific skills that will make such a huge difference to the parrot’s aviary life. You will be creating a better and more enriched living environment, which will stimulate the birds both mentally and physically.
What we offer you:
· A volunteer uniform
· Suitable Personal Protective Equipment
· Support and on-going training in your chosen role where possible
· Mixing within a friendly team
How to apply:
Download and complete our volunteer application form and send to:
HR & Volunteering Team, Raystede Centre for Animal Welfare, The Broyle, Ringmer, East Sussex, BN8 5AJ
To apply please download our application form and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone our team on 01825 880491.
Please note we do not accept CV's
If you have not heard from us within two weeks, thank you for your application, however please assume you have not been successful on this occasion.